Women who undergo breast reduction surgery (we also perform breast reduction for men) are usually motivated by seeking relief from the physical symptoms caused by the excess weight of large breasts. This procedure, also known as mammaplasty, removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin. The goal is to achieve a breast size in proportion with your body and allow you to feel much more comfortable in your everyday life activities. Breast reduction surgery can improve the size and shape of your breasts as well as allow you to enjoy better fitting clothes.
Women seeking breast reduction surgery, generally report some of the following conditions as that which inspired them to make this important change:
- Breasts that are too large in proportion to your body frame
- Back, neck or shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts. This condition can often cause indentations in your shoulders from bra straps that are too tight.
- Heavy breasts with nipples and areolas that point downward
- One breast may be may be much larger than the other one, or you may be experiencing some skin irritation beneath your breasts.
- You may also feel restricted in your physical activity due to the size and weight of your breasts
- It is also not unusual for women to mention that they often feel self conscious due to the largeness of their breasts.
Breast reduction surgery is not for everyone and much depends on where you are in your life as far as child bearing, breast feeding and other relevant factors. Dr. Jeffrey Smith would love to have an opportunity to speak with you about the relatively low risks and high rewards that are associated with breast reduction surgery. As is the case with all surgical procedures, there are associated risks that need to be discussed. It is important for you to ensure that all of your questions and considerations have been addressed and Dr. Smith is more than willing to take the necessary time to help you make the correct decision for you.
Dr. Jeffrey Smith is Board Certified in both general surgery and plastic surgery. He has had the privilege of serving patients from the Greater Boston, Massachusetts and New England areas ever since he opened his private practice in the year 2000. For a no obligation consultation, please call the medical office of Dr. Jeffrey Smith today at 978-256-7697. You will be glad you did.